The Underexplored Science Behind Your Customers Hardwired Emotional Response to Certain Color Hues.
Your company logo is probably the first thing potential customers notice so its message must be carefully considered, and should express who you are and what you do.
Another consideration that is often underexplored is your logo’s design and coloring scheme.
"Since researchers know that certain colors provoke strong feelings in people... they might then work backwards to uncover the basic mechanisms for these feelings."
Bevil Conway - Neuroscientist
Discussing his research in an article titled "The Fascinating Neuroscience of Color", neuroscientist Bevil Conway stated, “Knowing that humans might also be hardwired for certain hues could be a gateway into understanding the neural properties of emotion.
Since researchers know that certain colors provoke strong feelings in people - blues and purples are more pleasant than yellows, for instance, while greens tend to be the most arousing - they might then work backwards to uncover the basic mechanisms for these feelings.”
Choosing the Right Colors to Brand Your Business
The research suggests a deep hardwired process that certain color hues may have on people’s emotions that could effectively be used in your company’s branding efforts.
Research collected by WebpageFX found that in under 90 seconds a person makes subconscious judgements about a product based on colors alone the majority of the time.
In fact, nearly 85% of people say the primary reason they make a purchase decision is based on color, and 80% say a company’s brand recognition increases based on color.
Red is The Color of Fire and Blood, so it is Associated with Energy, War, Danger, Strength, Power, Determination as well as Passion, Desire, and Love.
- Red is a very emotionally intense color. It enhances human metabolism, increases respiration rate, and raises blood pressure.
- It has very high visibility that’s why stop signs, stoplights, and fire equipment are usually painted red.
- In heraldry, red is used to indicate courage. It is the color found in many national flags.
- Red brings text and images to the foreground.
- Use it as an accent color to stimulate people to make quick decisions; it is a perfect color for 'Buy Now' or 'Click Here' buttons on Internet banners and websites.
- Red is widely used to indicate danger (high voltage signs, traffic lights).
- This color is also commonly associated with energy, so you can use it when promoting energy drinks, games, cars, items related to sports and high physical activity.
Light Red represents joy, passion, sensitivity, and love.
Pink signifies romance, love, and friendship. It denotes feminine qualities and passiveness.
Dark Red is associated with vigor, willpower, rage, anger, leadership, courage, longing, malice, and wrath.
Brown suggests stability and denotes masculine qualities.
Reddish-Brown is associated with harvest and fall.
Yellow is The Color of Sunshine. It's Associated with Joy, Happiness, Intellect, and Energy.
- Yellow produces a warming effect, arouses cheerfulness, stimulates mental activity, and generates muscle energy.
- Yellow is often associated with food.
- Bright, pure yellow is an attention getter that’s why taxicabs are painted this color.
- When overused, yellow may have a disturbing influence; it is known that babies cry more in yellow rooms.
- Yellow is seen before other colors when placed against black; this combination is often used to issue a warning.
- In heraldry, yellow indicates honor and loyalty. Later the meaning of yellow was connected with cowardice.
- Use yellow to evoke pleasant, cheerful feelings.
- Yellow is very effective for attracting attention, so use it to highlight the most important elements of your design.
- Men usually perceive yellow as a very lighthearted, 'kiddish' color, so it is not recommended to use yellow when selling prestigious, expensive products to men - nobody will buy a yellow business suit or a yellow Mercedes.
- Yellow is an unstable and spontaneous color, so avoid using yellow if you want to suggest stability and safety.
- Light yellows tends to disappear into white, so it usually needs a dark color to highlight it.
- Shades of yellow are visually unappealing because they loose cheerfulness and become dingy.
Dull (Dingy) Yellow represents caution, decay, sickness, and jealousy.
Light Yellow is associated with intellect, freshness, and joy.
Blue is The Color of the Sky and Sea. It is Often Associated with Depth, Stability and Character.
- It symbolizes trust, loyalty, wisdom, confidence, intelligence, faith, truth, and heaven.
- Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body. It slows human metabolism and produces a calming effect.
- Blue is strongly associated with tranquility and calmness.
- In heraldry, blue is used to symbolize piety and sincerity.
- You can use blue to promote products and services related to cleanliness (water purification filters, cleaning liquids), air and sky (airlines, airports, air conditioners), water and sea (sea voyages, mineral water).
- Blue is linked to consciousness and intellect.
- Blue is a masculine color; according to studies, it is highly accepted among males.
- Darker blues are associated with depth, expertise, and stability; it is a preferred color for corporate America.
- Avoid using blue when promoting food and cooking, because blue suppresses appetite.
- When used together with warm colors like yellow or red, blue can create high-impact, vibrant designs; for example, blue-yellow-red is a perfect color scheme for a superhero.
Light Blue is associated with health, healing, tranquility, understanding, and softness.
Dark Blue represents knowledge, power, integrity, and seriousness.
Orange Combines the Energy of Red and the Happiness of Yellow. It is Associated with Joy, Sunshine, and Tropics.
- Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation.
- To the human eyes, orange is seen as a very hot color, so it gives the sensation of heat.
- Orange increases oxygen supply to the brain, produces an invigorating effect, and stimulates mental activity. It is highly accepted among young people.
- As a citrus color, orange is associated with healthy food and stimulates appetite.
- Orange is the color of fall and harvest.
- In heraldry, orange is symbolic of strength and endurance.
- Orange has very high visibility, so you can use it to catch attention and highlight the most important elements of your design.
- Orange is very effective for promoting food products and toys.
Dark Orange can mean deceit and distrust.
Red-Orange corresponds to desire, passion, pleasure, domination, aggression, and thirst for action.
Green is The Color of Nature. It Symbolizes Growth, Harmony, Freshness, and Fertility.
- Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety.
- Green has great healing power. It is the most restful color for human eyes; it can improve vision.
- Green suggests stability and endurance.
- Sometimes green denotes lack of experience; for example, a 'greenhorn' is a novice.
- In heraldry, green indicates growth and hope.
- Green, as opposed to red, means safety; it is the color of free passage in road traffic.
- Use green to indicate safety when advertising drugs and medical products.
- Green is directly related to nature, so you can use it to promote 'green' products.
- Dull, darker green is commonly associated with money, financial world, banking, and Wall Street.
- Dark green is associated with ambition, greed, and jealousy.
Yellow-Green can indicate sickness, cowardice, discord, and jealousy.
Aqua Green is associated with emotional healing and protection.
Olive Green is the traditional color of peace.
Purple Combines the Stability of Blue and the Energy of Red.
- Purple is associated with royalty. It symbolizes power, nobility, luxury, and ambition.
- It conveys wealth and extravagance.
- Purple is associated with wisdom, dignity, independence, creativity, mystery, and magic.
- Almost 75 percent children prefer purple to all the other colors.
- Purple is a very rare color in nature; some people consider it to be artificial.
Light Purple evokes romantic and nostalgic feelings.
Dark Purple evokes gloom and sad feelings. It can cause frustration.